I cast on Luna Moth yesterday! I guess that’s not all that much of a surprise since I’ve been chomping at the bit to get started. I realised that 4.5mm needles were what I should use so I didn’t need to wait until I’d finished with them from my other project.
Originally I thought the yarn was Double Knit, however I started to doubt that because of the thinness of it. At 15 Wraps per inch (wrap the yarn around a knitting needle lots of times, then measure how many wraps are in an inch of needle) it’s actually what Ravelry decide is fingering, or 4ply. It might still plump up a bit if it is indeed machine yarn and the oil is washed out, but even then I think the blocking process will preserve most of it’s laciness
It’s still at that awkward stage where it’s too small to really see any sort of pattern – I’ve knit chart A which is 14 rows long and half of chart b (so about 10 rows of that). I imagine it will speed up once I learn the pattern repeat better, but at the moment it’s slow going and partly due to using black wool which is difficult to see at the best of times! I’m having to use the pattern for the Aran version because although I said in a previous post that there was a 4ply version, I can’t appear to find it anymore. I’ve noticed on Ravelry that a lot of people using 4ply have just added an extra repeat of the chart, so it doesn’t seem to be much of a pain to adapt.